The Media Communications and Marketing classes from the Bucyrus Secondary School competed in the District #3 DECA Conference on Tuesday, February 2 at Ohio Northern University. 24 Bucyrus DECA members were awarded with top six finishes and competed at the State DECA Conference on March 18-19 in Columbus.
District conference results were as follows:
- Taryn Ziegler (1st Place) - Principles of Business Administration
- Makayl Smathers (1st place) - Business Finance Series
- Jacob Irwin (1st Place) - Restaurant and Food Service Series
- Jaret Pollock and Ashton Hawkins (1st Place) - Financial Services Team
- Aaron Stillwell (2nd Place) - Retail Merchandising Series
- Ashley Keener (2nd Place) - Financial Literacy Promotion Series
- Hadley French (3rd Place) - Apparel and Accessories Marketing Series
- Hannah Gulley (3rd Place) - Business Services Marketing Series
- Robert Mccomas (3rd Place) - Quick Serve Restaurant Management Series
- Roni Markely and Zane Richardson (3rd Place) - Hospitality and Tourism Team
- Alyssa Musselman (4th Place) - Automotive Services Marketing Series
- Celina Kelley and Brittany Purcell (4th Place) - Buying and Merchandising Team
- Briana Perdeiri and Keith Smith (4th Place) - Business Law and Ethics Team
- Nick Ruckman (5th Place) - Hotel and Lodging Management Series
- Kaden Wilson and Carsen Prinstil (5th Place) - Travel and Tourism Team
- Earl Jefferson (6th Place) - Food Marketing Series
- Jacob Meeks (6th Place) - Retail Merchandising Series
- Kaetlyn Wilson (6th Place) - Marketing Management Series
During the State competition in Columbus, eight of the Bucyrus DECA students finished in the top ten or higher. Students finishing in the top ten included: Kaetlyn Wilson, Loral Mollenkopf and Gavin Lewis (Independent Business Plan) and Makayl Smathers (Business Services Marketing Series Event).
Four Bucyrus DECA students placed in the top four and qualified for the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) in Nashville, TN in April. Students earning this honor included: Ashton Hawkins - 2nd Place (Business Services Operations Research Event), Jaret Pollock, Zane Richardson and Veronica Markely (Sports and Entertainment Operations Research Event). Additionally, Alyssa Musselman and Jacob Meeks received Gold Level Certification for the School Based Enterprise and qualified for ICDC.
"I'm proud of the effort and results from the competition,” Marketing Education instructor Ashley Severt said. “Students stayed after school during their free time to practice and study. I know that they gave their best, and it is exciting that their hard work and dedication has paid off."
For more information regarding the DECA Conference, contact Ashley Severt at (419) 562-7721 or email email@example.com.